|University of Texas, Austin|
|Master of Science, Information Studies||4.0||May 2012|
|Bachelor of Arts, Anthropology||3.74||December 1990|
|Doctor of Philosophy, Anthropology||May 2001|
|Master of Arts, Anthropology||3.98||May 1993|
Digital Soul Innovations, San Antonio, TX.Founder.June 2014 - Present
- Analyze, preserve, arrange and describe multimedia collections of audio, video, and text materials, including digital materials in current or obsolete formats.
- Create preservation plans for aging media including paper, photographic negatives, photographic prints, audio cassettes, reel tapes, CDs, DVDs, videotape, microfilm, hard drives, data discs, obsolete diskettes, and realia such as costumes, clothes, masks, or drums
- Prepare budget for correct storage materials for each type of media according to quantity, condition, and importance. Manage process of ordering and receiving storage materials such as archival boxes and storage sleeves for photographic prints.
- Assist client in preparing fundraising pitches.
- Directly supervise client's staff in major cataloging project. Train staff in cataloging procedures. Set up hardware and software for cataloging project. Troubleshoot and resolve all technical problems. Personally catalog foreign-language volumes including books in Cyrillic script. Supervise preparation of catalog covering nearly 3000 volumes.
- Prepare project plan for transforming collection into a research repository, including full description of collection, preparation of catalog and finding aids, training staff in basic reference procedures, and preparation of institutional procedures such as intake of new materials, handling visitors, and circulation policies.
Digital Language Documentation
University of New Orleans, New Orleans, LA. Research Associate, Department of Anthropology. Oct 2008 - May 2013
- Organized project for digital preservation of a native South American language, Marubo (Amazonas, Brazil).
- Wrote grant proposals, managed budget, sourced and purchased equipment, managed transportation and permits
- Worked in a team with native language consultants, translators, and village elders
- Recorded 86 distinct examples of speech and song totalling over 63 hours, including 65 sacred songs and 11 commentaries on sacred songs.
- Worked with native transcriber to produce 57 digital transcriptions of recorded sacred songs
- Worked with native translator to produce 8 new Portuguese translations of sacred songs
- Organized digital files on a laptop and two backup drives. Currently developing a web-accessible content management system for use by the language community
Digital Information Design
Digital Soul Innovations, San Antonio, TX.Founder.May 2013 - Present
- Create information architecture for web applications, including database schemas, user interfaces, and site navigation plans.
- Use PHP and MySQL with InnoDB storage engine to create and maintain robust web application back end capable of supporting large numbers of user requests.
- Use HTML5 and CSS3 to create accessible, standards-based web pages with multi-browser compatibility.
- Design and create web application components including login and personalization systems, user profiles, messaging and notifications, blogging platforms and image sharing.
University of Texas, Austin, TX. Graduate Student, School of Information. Aug 2010 - May 2012
Digital Media Collections
- Designed a digital video collection using Open Video Digital Library Toolkit (OVDLT)
- Conducted user research using semistructured interviews and a focus group
- Designed personas and scenarios to guide information design process
- Wrote design brief stating how the prototypeenvironment features would be used to create an information resource useful, interesting, and enjoyeable forintended audience
- Sketched design on paper, then created working interactive sketch in the prototype environment
- Used iterative design to modify interactive sketch using feedback from audience, peers, and experts
Understanding and Serving Users
- Worked in a team of 5 to develop information design for a website on health resources for immigrants
- Conducted literature review and interviews to understand information needs of immigrants in United States
- Developed personas and scenarios based on user research
- Used information needs analysis to determine main categories of information for website. Used these categories as basis for site architecture. For each category, used task analysis to develop site content and navigation.
- Used group design critiques to improve website through multiple iterations
Problems in Long-Term Retention of Electronic Records
- Worked in a team of 3 to extract files from 76 3.5-inch floppy disks aged 12 to 25 years, using a forensic workstation
- Extracted existing metadata and added metadata for long-term preservation and access. Described and arranged collection, preserving context.
- Ingested files into DSpace digital archive
Society for the Anthropology of Lowland South America. Volunteer Webmaster. 2007-2011.
- Built website for a small scholarly society.
- Maintained informational pages, online photograph exhibits, libraries of digitized journal articles, and working conference registration pages
Instruction and Education
University of Texas, Austin, TX. Teaching Assistant. Aug 2011 - May 2012.
- Teaching assistant for Children’s Literature class with over 125 students each semester.
- Wrote exam questions, helped students plan strategies for improving test performance.
San Antonio College, San Antonio, TX. Adjunct Instructor. Aug 2007 - May 2008.
- Taught physical anthropology to over 350 students in two semesters.
- Wrote all lectures and developed slide presentations for all classes.
- Applied active learning methods to develop learning activities such as debates, games, and structured discussions.
- Wrote and graded all exams and applied grading curve using correct statistical methods.
- Obtained online teaching certification by completing training course in interactive online teaching.
- Provided personalized help to students during office hours.
University of New Orleans, New Orleans, LA. Adjunct Instructor.Aug 2002 - May 2008.
- Taught five online classes with over 450 total students.
- Taught three face to face classes with over 45 total students.
- Produced six instructional videos using iMovie and GarageBand.
- Wrote and recorded lectures and authored slide presentations.
- Produced study guides to facilitate student learning and focus student reading.
Tulane University, New Orleans, LA. Adjunct Instructor.May 1993 - May 2004.
- Taught five anthropology courses with nearly 100 total students.
- Taught ten Spanish classes with over 230 total students.
- Courses taught included:
- Magic, Witchcraft, and Religion
- Anthropology through Science Fiction
- Economic Anthropology
- Introduction to Cultural Anthropology
- Introduction to Spanish
- Elements of Spanish
- Oral Proficiency Spanish
- Taught three courses for Honors students with enrollment restricted to 15 students.
- Taught traditional students in the College of Liberal Arts and nontraditional students in the University College.
Web Programming and Database Management
Adobe Creative Suite: Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Bridge, Illustrator, InDesign
Apple iLife: iMovie, iDVD, GarageBand, iPhoto
Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Digital audiovisual recording in field and studio; digital audio and video production
English, Spanish, French, Portuguese (fluent); Catalan (good); German, Marubo (basic)
Ethnographic research, interviewing (structured, semistructured, unstructured), participant observation, oral history, focus groups, survey research, statistical analysis, user and audience research, scientific literature reviews
Digital image creation and manipulation, computer illustration for print or screen, typography and layout, information design, drawing (pencil, marker, charcoal), thumbnails, roughs.
Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in teams, project management and project evaluation, public speaking with effective multimedia presentations